Other College events for alumni are listed on the Development Office website.
Downing Photographic Competition 2023
CALLING ALL DOWNING PHOTOGRAPHERS! ARE YOU READY TO START SHOOTING?
2023 THEME: “WITHIN 5 KILOMETRES OF THE MASTER’S LODGE”
Sponsored by the Downing College Alumni Association
1. 2023 Theme: “Within 5 kilometres of the Master’s Lodge” now open for entries.
2. Aim of competition
Several of the previous Competition themes have been associated specifically with the domus and life of Downing College. This year’s competition widens the scope to the immediate Cambridge area. The aim is to show the local area (town or gown) in a different light, perhaps hidden or rarely seen details, unusual views, something abstract, impressionistic, or memorable.
The Competition is open to all members of the JCR and MCR.
No limit is placed on the age of any image, but recent images would be preferred.
4. Format for entries
- Each entry is to be in the form of a Digital Image.
- Both Colour and Monochrome images are eligible.
- Images may be taken using any appropriate photographic equipment including cameras, smart phones and tablets. (When using a smart phone, entrants are encouraged to shoot in landscape as well as portrait format.)
- A competitor may submit up to five images.
- Where the focus of the photograph is on the image of identifiable people, courtesy dictates that approval from those people should normally be obtained.
- Images must be submitted in [jpeg] format and be no smaller than 1200 pixels across the longest edge.
- Large image files more than 4Mb in size should be avoided.
- Each image file must contain or be clearly identified with the Entrant’s Name and Title of Image.
5. Date for submission
Entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 18.00 on Sunday 11 June 2023.
The Downing College Alumni Association sells merchandise in aid of its Student Support Fund. Items include prints of the college, place mats, greeting cards and mugs and the Association hopes to be able to use fresh images for future products. It is a condition of entry that any image may be used and reproduced by the Downing College Alumni Association for publicity and promotional purposes.
By making an entry, the Competitor agrees to assign to the Association the Intellectual Property Rights in all entries, irrespective of whether they are awarded a prize. The Association will endeavour to inform any competitors whose work is ultimately used.
7. Judging and Prizes
The judge or judges will be selected by the Executive Committee of the Downing College Alumni Association.
The images will be judged both on artistic and technical merit.
The Downing College Alumni Association will award prizes of £50, £30 and £20 for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed images respectively. Certificates will also be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and for highly commended and commended entries. (Collectively: - ‘The Winners’)
Selected entries may be published, in colour or monochrome, in the Downing College Magazine. These will not necessarily be the prize-winning entries.
The judges’ decision shall be final and not subject to appeal.
The results will be announced in June.
Submission of an entry implies acceptance of all the Rules as set out above.
Last year's winners
"1st Equal Prize “The music returns” by Louisa Denby
This was a carefully composed image of the interior of the college chapel, taken from slightly off-centre, so that the altar was not obscured by the lectern, while at the same time maintaining the altar cross in the centre of the image and the tall candlestick dead centre in front of a recess in the wall. The connection with the theme was cleverly made by a blue face mask hanging from the lectern.
1st Equal Prize “Hope” by Aurelia Eulenburg
This image, taken from a little visited corner of the college, combines the view of a ’wild’ area with wonderful spring flowers and in the middle distance some deckchairs set out on the Paddock in the hope and expectation of the good weather to come.