How to apply

Prospective postgraduate students apply to the University in the first instance; you can indicate Downing as your first choice College. All postgraduate applications should be made through the University of Cambridge with the exception of those courses listed below. Full details on how to apply are given on the Applying section of the University of Cambridge Postgraduate Admissions website.
Applications for some courses are made directly to the appropriate Faculty, Department or Institute. These include:

PGCE Faculty of Education, 184 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 8PQ

MBA Judge Business School, Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1AG

For further information please contact the Graduate Admissions Officer.

Funding and College Entry-Level Awards

Information about funding at Downing College and entry level awards can be found here.  For other funding opportunities please go to the University's funding database.

The Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentship

The Rowan Williams Cambridge Studentship is a full-cost award available to undergraduate and graduate students, covering tuition fees and maintenance, which will, in some instances, also assist with students’ upfront expenses such as travel, visa costs and the immigration health surcharge.

To be eligible, applicants need to:

  • hold a conditional offer of admission to the University of Cambridge for any degree;
  • be from an area of instability or zone of conflict;
  • be, or have been, at risk of discrimination, persecution, suffering, violence or other abuse of their human rights.

Postgraduate applicants should

  • apply by the Postgraduate Funding deadline for their chosen course of study, and be offered conditional admission to the University of Cambridge;
  • tick the box to apply for funding, and fill in the Cambridge Trust section of the online form stating how they meet the eligibility criteria, as part of their application for admission through the University’s Applicant Portal.

For more information visit 

Affiliated students for BA courses

If you are a postgraduate wanting to take a Cambridge BA course you can apply as an Affiliated Student.

Click here for information on Undergraduate Admissions.

Further information

University information for prospective postgraduate students
Downing College entry in the University Postgraduate prospectus
Information for International Students