Students with disabilities
Students at Downing are admitted solely on our assessment of their academic potential. We are happy to discuss with you the sort of support that you may require at any time.
Get in touch with us at an early stage to discuss the help you need and to look at the facilities we can offer.
Accommodation and facilities
We have seven adapted en-suite rooms for students with disabilities. Five rooms are suitable for wheelchair users. There are two adapted rooms for students with hearing impairments and hearing loops in the Library, Porters’ Lodge, administration offices and all large halls and theatres. Clear Braille signage is widespread throughout the College. Wheelchair users should be aware that Downing's Main Court has gravel paths.
The following links may prove useful:
- The University’s Disability Resource Centre can provide excellent support and advice and we would encourage you to contact them before you send in your formal application. Specialist advice on dyslexia is also available from the Disability Resource Centre.
- Disability Access Guide
- Downing's entry in the University Access Guide
- Access Maps - The University has created maps of three of the largest sites showing access facilities for disabled staff, students and visitors that can be found in the above links.
- Skill: National Bureau for Students with Disabilities - Skill promotes equality in education, training and employment for disabled people.
- UCAS - Funding for individual needs
Disabled Students Allowances
Information regarding applications for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs). As a higher education student living in the UK, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) if you have:
- a physical or mental impairment
- a long-term health condition
- a mental health condition
- a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia.
DSAs are awarded on top of other student finance and don't have to be repaid. Assessment is entirely needs-based and isn't measured against income. There is no age limit. www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/eligibility