Registration with a General Practitioner

It is essential for all new students to register with a Cambridge GP on or shortly after arrival.  Please use this list of local practices and contact details to make your registration arrangements.

The Lensfield Medical Practice is immediately adjacent to Downing College.  If you wish to register with this practice, please do so on arrival in Cambridge, at which point your medical notes will be transferred from your home doctor to Lensfield Medical Practice.  The practice will be open for new student registrations between Monday 7 October and Wednesday 9 October from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.  Staff from the practice will be on hand to assist with form filling and to answer any queries you may have.  The practice has published a new patient questionnaire, NHS registration form and sharing of information form which will simplify the registration process if you complete these documents at home and bring them with you when you register at the surgery.

To register with any other General Practitioner on the list you must also do this in person soon after arrival in Cambridge and you will need to bring your NHS number (not National Insurance Number) with you.  If you do not know your NHS number, please contact your current doctor or local Health Authority before you arrive in Cambridge.  This will enable your new GP to trace your medical records quickly.  Students new to the United Kingdom who have never been registered here will need to inform their new GP of this when registering.

It is essential that the College records the name of your GP.  Therefore, once you have registered with a Cambridge GP please complete and return this form to the Tutorial Office by Monday 14 October.  Please refer to the student guide to using NHS services in Cambridge or the Cambridge Student health website for comprehensive advice on health and local services in Cambridge.

Dental Care and Treatment

Registration with a Dentist is not required.  However, Dentists keep lists of regular patients to enable them to provide on-going treatment and care.  The College recommends that all students continue their dental care with a local dentist. This avoids time taken obtaining treatment away from Cambridge and reduces the likelihood of emergency dental work being required. To find alternative local dentists, contact the Dental Access Helpline (01223 415126) or use NHS Choices.

NHS Dental treatment is only free for full-time students up to their 19th birthday.  NHS charges are payable by students aged 19 and over. Those with a current exemption certificate "HC2" may receive help with costs up to the full amount.  To apply, request and complete the appropriate form available from your dental surgery or Social Security Office.  Those not automatically eligible are means-tested after providing detailed information about income and outgoings.  To check eligibility and for further information please visit Patient UK.  Without an "HC2" the dentist will charge fees which are payable at the end of each appointment, usually only by cash or cheque.  It is possible to claim back these charges retrospectively on production of the receipt, if you qualify for assistance.  For further information about NHS dental care see this leaflet.

Counselling Service

A wide range of confidential help and support is available to you at the University Counselling Service, including self-help resources.  Appointments are made by completing and submitting an online Pre-Counselling Form.  For further information please refer to this leaflet.

Student Parents

The University of Cambridge Childcare pages provide online resources for University students with children and information on childcare within the University and in Cambridge, school enrolment, financial information, family accommodation and a guide to facilities and activities for families in the Cambridge area.  Please also see Downing's childcare page which lists a number of useful websites.