Arriving in College
Arriving in College for the start of a new term is always an exciting time .The Domus buzzes with people and activity. The current situation makes the arrival process more complex. The College is confident that, as long as the arrival procedures are followed, the transition can be handled smoothly and, most importantly, safely. Students coming into residence will need to book a timed arrival slot. You should not travel without having received a confirmation of your arrival slot.
- There is a great deal of uncertainty about how the term will progress and the potential impact of the spread of COVID in the City. Whether your are a Fresher or a returning student, you should not treat this term as a ‘normal’ University term.
- Travel light. Please bring the minimum necessary possessions to support you during this term.
- Dress warm. Due to the emphasis on ventilation as a COVID mitigation, you will be outdoors more than usual for various activities! You will also be spending more academic time in rooms with windows that are open or have additional ventilation systems in place.
Planning is still in progress for arrangements on the arrival days in question and further details will follow in due course.
- Students needing to undertake a period of quarantine and who wish to do so in College accommodation should refer to the information and separate dates here.
- Undergraduate Freshers should arrive in College on Saturday 3 October.
- International Undergraduate Freshers who do not require quarantine but who are unfamiliar with the UK may also arrive by appointment on Thursday 1 October if required for orientation purposes. Our capacity is limited, but if you think that early arrival might be appropriate in your case, please contact email@example.com to discuss your plans further.
- All returning undergraduates should arrive on either Friday 2 October or from Sunday 4 October, avoiding the Freshers’ arrival date of Saturday 3 October.
- If you are an undergraduate and unable to return on those dates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your circumstances and proposed alternative date(s).
- All Postgraduate students coming into College accommodation should arrange an arrival date with the Accommodation Office (email@example.com) prior to confirming their travel arrangements.
On the day
- Car parking will be closely controlled to optimise throughput and safety. Once you have unloaded your possessions, your car must be removed from College grounds. Car parking is available in the nearby Queen Anne Car Park as well as in other locations around the City.
- Please do not bring more people with you than is necessary for this trip. We hope to be able to welcome more visitors into College in the future. At the moment, it is much easier to manage social distancing with fewer people on the Domus. Only one person will be able to accompany you to your accommodation to assist with any luggage.
- You are strongly encouraged, especially for this first term, to bring only essential items to College. Storage space in College is limited and will not necessarily be available to you in the event that your travel plans are disrupted.
The College is providing support for those residential students who are required to self-isolate for a quarantine period. This means that many students will either be quarantining in their household groups, or will be sharing their household with someone in a quarantine process. For details on how quarantine will be managed please read here.