Student parents are welcomed and supported at Downing College.  The University's Childcare Office is able to offer advice and information to student parents, including details about:

  • locations of local nurseries
  • childminders
  • after-school clubs
  • University facilities
  • financial assistance
  • bursary schemes.

For further details telephone 01223 332249 or email

You can also contact Downing's Childcare Officer via email or telephone 01223 334811.

The links below may also be useful.

The New to Cambridge parent information includes information on University assistance, childcare, health, finance, accommodation and local parenting contacts. Information on the University Nurseries can also be found here.

The Universities' Holiday Playscheme is a joint operation between the University of Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin University (ARU).

The Student Parent Society's Facebook Page is a great way to meet other student parents and an opportunity to discuss life in Cambridge.

The Graduate Union (GU) is the university-wide representative body for graduate students at the University of Cambridge.

GU Parent and Toddler Group. The Graduate Union sponsors a free, informal group to which students and/or their partners can bring their young children. Contact the University Centre reception on 01223 (3)37766.

Cambridge University Students' Union (CUSU) for information, advice and support on welfare and education issues.

Student Parent Newsletters.  The free, regular student parent e-newsletters aim to keep students with children of all ages up to date with news and family events within the University as well as in and around Cambridge. The newsletters are also used by students to advertise events, buy and sell items and exchange information.  See the University Student Parent Newsletters section for further information on how to subscribe.

Gov.UK  contains information for parents and children of all ages. Topics include child health and safety, childcare, Preschool, Schools, learning and development, money and work entitlements, family leisure and recreation, having a baby, parents' and children's rights, adoption, fostering, children in care and legal matters.

The Central Childcare Bursary Scheme is only available to eligible overseas and EU students. Home students with dependent children should apply to the Access to Learning Fund.

Financial support from the Government includes Childcare Grants and Early Years Funding for 3 and 4-year olds.

Downing welcomes and supports student parents but has no accommodation suitable for families with children. The University Accommodation Service can help to find suitable accommodation for you. It has a huge list of University accommodation, as well as hundreds of privately-owned properties in and around Cambridge.

For further information please contact Downing's Childcare Officer by email to or telephone 01223 334811.