Where is the College accommodation located?

All College accommodation is located on the Domus, the Downing College site, apart from rooms in the College Boathouse. 

First year students are usually accommodated in Griphon House,  Kenny A, Kenny B , Howard Lodge or J Staircase.  Postgraduate students are usually accommodated in the 70 and 76 Regent Street, the Singer Building, Battcock Lodge and the Boathouse.

How much rent will I pay, and what does this include?

See the Rents and bands explained page for further information.

Can I see pictures of the accommodation I have been allocated?

We do not have photographs of every individual room at Downing.  You will be able to see one or two rooms from each accommodation block which are a fair representation of the rooms in this area.  Look at the Accommodation Search for more details.

Can I have a guest to stay in my room?

You can have a guest to stay in your College room, but only for two nights and they must be signed in at the Porters' Lodge.

Can I bring my own furniture?

You are not allowed to bring your own furniture, nor are you allowed to remove any furniture from your room.

Where do I do my laundry?

Washing machines, dryers, irons and provision for drying are available for you in two College laundries.  You will find the laundries located behind T staircase and at the rear of I staircase.  Entry is by University card access only, but you are advised not to leave any items of clothing unattended and the College cannot accept any responsibility for loss of your personal laundry.  Do not dry washing over the hand rails of College staircases; any drying should take place either in the laundries or within the confines of your College room.

Most College houses are supplied with domestic-style washing machines and dryers. If you are a Postgraduate resident of a College house which does not have laundry facilities, you may use the facilities in the basement of the Singer Building. Keys may be obtained from the Porters’ Lodge.