BA, MSci, MA, PhD
I am a research scientist with a keen interest in the molecular interactions between retroviruses and human cells. I am also a strong believer in the communication of science through teaching, outreach and public engagement. I work at the Department of Medicine on the Addenbrooke's site researching the role of a newly-discovered cellular protein SAMHD1, which inhibits HIV infection in certain cells bytargeting dNTP, the building blocks of DNA, for degradation. I want to understand its role in the cell both as part of the intracellular defence system and in cell metabolism as well as how these are regulated. Previously I worked with Kate Bishop at the National Institute for Medical Research on SAMHD1 as well as projects have involving investigating the prevalence of infectious agents in prostate cancer and characterisation of the novel retrovirus XMRV.
- Ordonez P, Kunzelmann S, Groom HC, Yap MW, Weising S, Meier C, Bishop KN, Taylor IA, Stoye JP. SAMHD1 enhances nucleoside-analogue efficacy against HIV-1 in myeloid cells. Sci Rep. 2017 Feb 21;7:42824. doi: 10.1038/srep42824.
- Groom HCT, Arnold LH, Kunzelmann S, Schwefel D, Caswell SJ, Ordonez P, Mann MC, Rueschenbaum S, Goldstone DC, Pennell S, Howell SA, Stoye JP, Webb M, Taylor IA, Bishop KN. Phospho-dependent Regulation of SAMHD1 Oligomerisation Couples Catalysis and Restriction 2015 PLoS Pathogens.
- Schwefel D, Groom HCT, Boucherit VC, Christodoulou E, Walker PA, Stoye JP, Bishop KN & Taylor IA Structural basis of lentiviral subversion of a cellular protein degradation pathway 2014 Nature 505(7482):234-8.
- Groom HCT, Warren AY, Neal DE, Bishop KN No evidence for infection of UK prostate cancer patients with XMRV, BK virus, Trichomonas vaginalis or human papilloma viruses 2012 PLoS One 7(3):e34221.
- Groom HCT, Bishop KN The tale of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus 2012 J Gen Virol 93(Pt 5):915-24.
- Goldstone DC, Ennis-Adeniran V, Hedden JJ, Groom HC, Rice GI, Christodoulou E, Walker PA, Kelly G, Haire LF, Yap MW, de Carvalho LP, Stoye JP, Crow YJ, Taylor IA, Webb M HIV-1 restriction factor SAMHD1 is a deoxynucleoside triphosphate triphosphohydrolase. 2011 Nature 480(7377):379-82.
- Groom HCT, Yap MW, Galão RP, Neil SJ, Bishop KN Susceptibility of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) to retroviral restriction factors 2010 Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107(11):5166-71.
- Groom HCT, Boucherit VC, Makinson K, Randal E, Baptista S, Hagan S, Gow JW, Mattes FM, Breuer J, Kerr JR, Stoye JP, Bishop KN Absence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus in UK patients with chronic fatigue syndrome 2010 Retrovirology 7:10.
- Groom HCT, Anderson EC, Lever AM Rev: beyond nuclear export 2009 J Gen Virol 90(Pt 6):1303-18.
- Groom HCT, Anderson EC, Dangerfield J, Lever AM Rev regulates translation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type-1 RNAs. 2009 J Gen Virol 90(Pt 5):1141-7.
- Gooding C, Clark F, Wollerton MC, Grellscheid SN, Groom H, Smith CW A class of human exons with predicted distant branch points revealed by analysis of AG dinucleotide exclusion zones 2006 Genome Biology 7(1):R1.