- You are required to see your Graduate Tutor at the start of your course. This meeting is obligatory! The beginning of Michaelmas Term appointments will be published online from Monday 24 September onwards. Further information about how to sign-up for an appointment is available here. It causes great inconvenience if this appointment is missed. If you are unable to keep an appointment it is your responsibility to make alternative arrangements. You are encouraged to discuss with your Graduate Tutor any special needs you may have as early as possible. This includes students with unseen disabilities or illness. It is your responsibility to make your needs known to us.
- All new students must read and agree to specific College policies and terms & conditions within the first week of Term as a requirement of living and studying at Downing. Please also refer to the College rules and guidelines as required.
- Emailed College newsletters are sent at frequent intervals during the year. Please ensure that you read these as they contain important information which is not distributed in any other format.
- If you have been allocated accommodation at Downing, you must sign in to collect your key and/or University Card. You must also sign out whenever you are away overnight from Cambridge.
- You must have an academic gown by Monday 8 October. Discounted gowns are available to purchase from Ryder & Amies.
Bicycles in College
All student bicycles must be marked with a unique personal number which will be allocated to you by the Porters. Please ask the Porters for further details once you arrive in Cambridge.
Keeping a Car in Cambridge
The University ordinances prohibit all students from keeping a car in Cambridge, save in the most exceptional circumstances. Any student who is able to make a case for having a car in Cambridge must obtain the prior approval of the College and University authorities. No parking of student vehicles in College is permitted without such prior consent. Application forms for permission to have a car in Cambridge can be downloaded here. For further information or queries please contact the College Office.