The Matriculation Dinner for new graduates will be held at 7.30 pm on Tuesday 15 October in the College Hall, preceded by a Reception at 7.00 pm in the Grace Howard Room.
Please complete the Postgraduate Matriculation Dinner Form as follows:
- Enter your official surname and forenames (no nicknames please).
- Enter the subject you will be reading at Downing.
- Please tick the 'yes' box to indicate that you will be attending the dinner.
- If you are unable to attend the dinner please tick the 'no' box.
- Please indicate in the box provided whether you have any special dietary requirements.
Please email this form to the Internal Events Manager by Tuesday 1 October at the latest. We regret that it may not be possible to cater for any special dietary requests which are received after this date.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Matriculation Dinner?
The Matriculation Dinner is a formal meal to celebrate your entry as a new postgraduate student into the University of Cambridge and Downing College. All new postgraduates are invited to attend, as well as College Officers, such as the Master, Vice Master, Senior Tutor and Graduate Tutors.
What is the dress code?
The dress code is as follows, which is defined without reference to considerations of gender identity or expression:
- Long trousers or a skirt
- Short or blouse (shirts should be collared and should be worn with a tie or cravat)
- Smart shoes
- Jeans or shorts are not allowed
A University of Cambridge academic gown must also be worn.
Is there a charge for the dinner?
The dinner is free of charge for all new postgraduates.
Are partners, family members or spouses invited?
Unfortunately, due to space limitations in the Dining Hall guests are not invited.
How long does the dinner take?
Dinner starts at 7.30 pm and generally takes one and a half hours for three courses to be served. The Master also gives a speech to welcome you to the College.
Is there any entertainment or music?
This is a formal dinner. Consequently, there is no entertainment or music.