Arrival Information for Home Students (UK only)
Home students must arrive at the College after 1.00 pm but before 4.00 pm on Saturday 30 September. Exceptionally, if you have difficulty completing a long journey by 4.00 pm on the Saturday or if, for religious reasons, you are unable to travel on this day, you may be given permission to arrive on Friday 29 September. Please notify the Admissions Officer by Friday 1 September if such permission is required. Please note, your College room will only be available from 2.00 pm onwards.
Please print this event timetable now which will assist you on arrival at Downing.
You should first report to the Porters’ Lodge, at the entrance to the College, and do the following:
- Ask the Porters to provide you with a map of the College as well as direct you where to park for unloading purposes.
All new undergraduates must then report to the Tutorial and Admissions Office (located on B staircase) to register and do the following:
- Collect your University Card. (Required to obtain food and drink in the Dining Hall/Butterfield Bar and access to some College rooms, gates, Libraries and certain Faculties.)
- Obtain Student Loan payment authorisation. (To release your student loan we are required to see either your passport or driving licence so please remember to bring one of these with you.)
- Complete critical forms.
- Any examination certificates you have previously sent to us will be returned to you.
- Collect your Registration pack.
The Tutorial and Admissions Office is open for registration at the following times:
Saturday 30 September 1.00 pm to 5.00 pm
Lastly, you must return to the Porters' Lodge to do the following:
- Sign-in and ask for the key to your accommodation. (Please note, if you have been allocated a room which is accessible by University Card only, you will have collected your card at registration.)
- Collect the post from your pigeon hole. (You will find a tutorial meeting invitation and a copy of your College bill.)
You are required to attend an informal meeting with your Tutor on Saturday 30 September at 6.00 pm. Please ensure you collect the invitation and further details of this meeting from your pigeon hole in the Porters’ Lodge (as above).
Please note, parking is allowed in the College for unloading and cars should be removed promptly once this is complete. Details regarding local car parks are provided by Cambridge City Council. The University Ordinances prohibit all students from keeping a car in Cambridge, save in the most exceptional circumstances. For further information or queries please contact the College Office.